Follow My Art Quilt Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Art Quilt of Friends ART for my Friend!

Last December my friend Mim sent me a charm behind glass of the character she draws and calls
Ms Em.
I was so taken by this lovely hand made gift
that I was inspired to gift her back
with an art quilt
using her own art,
which I copied by machine sewing Ms Em in black holding the menorah to a piece of white cloth
as seen here,
then sewing that to a background fabric I had in my stash,
full of stars that went perfectly with the
Chanukah theme of the Festival of Lights.
 
Gold embroidery floss lit the candles and her shoes.
 
 
 
I enjoyed hand stitching around the front focal patch
and adding lots and lots of French Knots
in two shades of blue and gold embroidery floss all over
as a form of quilting the piece.


I added a hanging sleeve to the back and my note of explanation and thanks to Mim
 
for her gift to me.

 
Mim happens to own another art quilt I made a few years ago
of a sunflower, which she calls "Sunny", and she said
she'd hang Ms. Em next to it!
 
;-)

5 comments:

Joy Murray said...

Very cute and compelling. I love Miss Em's wry smile. The handwork is lovely.

Alexiev said...

Good art...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar/
Proyectos - Illustrations
Alexiev Store - venta de originales
@alexievg en twitter

Mirame en Art Attack
Mirame en Art Attack de nuevo

Lorraine said...

what a lovely idea and thanks for your lovely comment on my blog

Kristin said...

Oh, I admire your talent so much! What a beauty, xo!!

Mim said...

I didn't t know this was here. I look at her everyday, I adore this art quilt!