Follow My Art Quilt Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

Sun Flower Art Quilt Finished and SOLD!!!

I will be entering this art quilt in the NAMI-Yolo Seeds of Hope Sunflower Art Show & Competition this Friday in Davis, CA. Nami-Yolo is a chapter of the National Alliance for Mental Illness. As a mental health counselor (MFT) I have a special place in my heart for this organization.

The name of the quilt is: Sun . Flower . Life . Energy

This first photo shows some detail in stitching. I cut the stamp of the sunflower that borders the quilt on Styrofoam. And the buttons that add texture represent seeds. The leaves of the sunflower are repurposed hand dyed with acrylic paint dryer sheets.



The central flower is made of pieces of craft felt, cotton fabric and wool roving machine felted then machine top stitched free motion style.


The light green frame around the central flower is tissue paper. Click to enlarge for details. There is thread painting done around the sunflower and top sewing free motion around each stamped sunflower on the border.


The cotton orange fabric was all torn by hand and edges purposefully left frayed.
My hope is that the whole piece looks like a seed packet.


Size: 24" X 27"

18 comments:

Sandra said...

That looks good!

Corryna said...

wonderful Lynn! Did you buy yourself an embellisher? Or is that felting not done by an embellisher? (Yes I know it is done by you also LOL). I like what you have made Lynn. You are growing just as fast as sunflowers do. And you know what they'll do when they're big: they shine! :-)

Mieke said...

Wow, great piece!!

Lynn Cohen said...

Sandra, thanks.

Corryna, Yes, I bought a BabyLock Embellisher/felting machine. I love it. Just getting into it actually. Thanks for your praise and continued encouragement for my art.

Mieke, thanks and welcome. Do come again!

Angela said...

Lynn, this is absolutely beautiful! I love sunflowers (and you've just reminded me to post two postcards on my blog that I made for friends but I can't spoil the surprise till they receive them!) I't so bright too - another love of mine.

Fabulous work - another prize-winner for sure ;o)
Angela

Unknown said...

Wow Lynn...it looks wonderful. I do have to learn allot about quilting!
Good luck at the show.
Efrat

L'Adelaide said...

your quilt is stunning and I adore the yellow color and the textural quality it has....I also appreciate you doing this for NAMI! how exciting, I hope you win!

this makes me want to quilt again but I blew up my machine from overuse, lol!

Lynn Cohen said...

Angela, such wonderful praise from another art quilter who I admire so highly, Thank you!!!

Efrat, It thrills me that you come here and honor my work with your kind words. Toda!!!

Linda, it is terrific to be doing it for NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness)! I'm so excited about entering this show and art center! Thank you! Sorry to hear your machine blew up. I hope you can replace it soon.

Anonymous said...

Your sunflower looks awesome and what a great organization too!

Sue said...

Beautiful quilt Lynn, I love sunflowers and the texture in your quilt. You are a talented lady!

gunnelsvensson said...

This quilt is so great !!! I really like it !!

lisette said...

wow lynn this is stunning! congratulations!

Julie Bagamary said...

WOW - what a great and fun piece. Congrats on the sale! Isn't it great when someone else wants to own our creations!

Anonymous said...

nice design! =)

betchai said...

wow, that is a beautiful quilt, really fabulous.

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE that sunflower! ENJOY your weekend! Fifi

Cathie said...

Lynn this is amazing. Love the technique you used on the flower - and tearing the fabric - your vision is wonderful. It does represent a seed packet - spectacular!

Unknown said...

Amazing!